Thursday, March 16, 2017

Thoughts on OT Theory

The theory I am the most fond of is the Kawa Model. I found the representations are very appropriate for what they represent, and this will be a great way to explain OT to clients. Like Professor Lancaster said in class, it may be easier for a client to relate to and understand this model due to the concrete comparisons.  I could see myself more likely to implement this model into practice. Although, the ecological models do include an important aspect—environment. Environment plays a huge role in the holistic view of a person. Stress and increases in cortisol levels throughout a person's life can affect virtually every aspect of their life. Stress that is caused by extrinsic factors in the environment can lead to disease, mental illness, and unhealthy habits. When dealing with clients, I also hope to include this model to help them change their environment if needed to reduce stress which could positively affect their benefit of receiving occupational therapy. I learned about this theory in my Exercise Psychology class in undergrad, but I hope to gain more experience with it in relation to OT.


1 comment:

  1. Well articulated, Annese! I appreciate the link to neurophysiology :)

    ReplyDelete