Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Neuro Aspects and Personal Perspectives

      Today in class, I was able to hear very relevant and also disheartening stories of classmates who have personally experienced situations involving brain injuries. This helps get a more empathetic and emotional understanding of how brain injuries can affect not only the individual but also their loved ones.
      Professor Lancaster's blog also gave so much insight on the details people do not often think about regarding a family member's illness. One thing that I related with was the blog post titled "No Rhyme or Reason". I have personally said this myself that it can be frustrating hearing "everything happens for a reason" from bystanders when you are facing difficulties. Knowing unfortunate events can happen to anyone and everyone was oddly comforting to me when dealing with my father's chronic illness. While I know it can be difficult to comfort someone who is facing adversity, I have realized sometimes it is better to just tell them, "I am here for you" rather than trying to give "rhyme or reason" to a situation. I hope I can create meaningful relationships with clients and be able to comfort and support them, but never to tell them they are hurting for a reason.

1 comment: