Monday, February 26, 2018

Attending a 12-step Meeting

Al-anon Meeting 2/25/18
     I went to an Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACOA) Al-anon meeting on 2/25/18.  I entered the room feeling intimidated and awkward.  The group provided banana pudding so that eased some of my anxiety.  I think having food at the meeting created a more relaxed environment.  The members welcomed us but were not too pushy.  There were round tables set up which gave members a chance to talk comfortably.  I planned on participating in the group and not telling them I am there for a school assignment; therefore, I was anxious about having to speak up.  Fortunately, I was not required to share and a guest speaker shared her story.  Before the speaker shared, the group facilitator ran through the rules and expectations of the group.  The leader made it clear that political or outside issues should not be discussed in order to maintain cohesion.  She acknowledged there were new members and shared a quick testimony about her experience in ACOA.  She had two regular group members read the 12 steps of Al-Anon and the principles of the program.  
     The guest speaker shared her experiences and how Al-anon has facilitated her recovery.  Some of her final comments resonated with me.  She said, "You're never too old to learn how to play."  I immediately related this to OT and the importance of incorporating play into our engagement with clients throughout the lifespan.  From her perspective, engaging in leisure activities as an older adult was beneficial for her growth in Al-anon and AA and for her mental health.  
     I had expectations that this group session would be more therapeutic than it was.  I think this is why they encourage new members to attend at least 6 sessions before deciding if it is helpful. Since my father is a recovered alcohol, I thought the meeting would be something that would benefit me personally.  I think the meeting would have been more therapeutic if I attended a weekday meeting.  The weekend meetings are designated for guest speakers, while the weekday meetings are for exploring the 12 steps of Al-anon.  
     This meeting was a form of a social support group.  As stated in the meeting, all of us with alcoholic parents have some type of feelings in common.  A benefit of going to these meetings is the realization that we are not alone in our past and current struggles.  Being able to apply what I have learned in Groups class to a real-life group process was insightful.  In the past, I have been curious about the structure of Al-anon meetings, but I was too nervous to attend.  This assignment enabled me to experience Al-anon as a student and as a potential member. 

No comments:

Post a Comment