Monday, February 5, 2018

Group Session Reflection #1 - Relating to Others

Worksheet 1-3 (Cole, 2018)
Leadership Assessment (Self-assessment)

Introduction: 9 out of 10
We should have discussed the structure of how the group session will take place. 
Activity: 10 out of 10
Emily and I worked well together to provide the appropriate materials and were prepared for this group. 
Sharing: 10 out of 10
Each member felt comfortable enough to share their quilt piece.  I made sure to use active listening skills and empathy when each member spoke. 
Processing: 8 out of 10
We could have tried to elicit more feelings about the quilt pieces or asked them to find more ways to relate to each other.  I decided to let this part flow naturally since the group members are fairly comfortable with each other. 
Generalizing: 8 out of 10
I wish we would have verbalized clear, distinct principles. 
Group Motivation: 10 out of 10
I made sure to let the group know that they had freedom when designing their quilt piece.  We encouraged the members to comment on each others similarities. 
Limit Setting: 10 out of 10
We provided enough time for members to complete each activity and respond to our questions with out being overly controlling. 
Application: 10 out of 10
I asked the group what they took away from the session or what they found meaningful.  Emily asked them how they can apply this to real-life situations. 
Summary: 8 out of 10
I would have liked to do better at acknowledging the group's work as a whole at the end of the session. 

Reflection
Being the first pair to lead a group session was at first intimidating.  I started the session feeling slightly unsure of how the next half hour would go.  Our introduction game was not only a good warm-up for the members, but it was also a way for me get acclimated to co-facilitate a group session.  Assuming authority was a difficult role for me, but I think Emily and I both managed this role well without seeming too controlling.  I noticed when we asked probing questions, it took the members a moment to gather their thoughts and respond.  That awkward silence is not always a bad thing!  This was an important observation that I will remember when facilitating groups in the future.  The most meaningful aspect of co-facilitating this group was during the sharing phase.  Each member put effort and thought to their quilt piece and was willing to share their pieces with the group.  I found it interesting that the members shared feelings on different emotional levels.  Some were about concrete, tangible ideas such as wanting to ride a horse while others were about abstract, emotional ideas such as having a fear of abandonment.  I think the mix of ideas made this group session a beneficial learning experience for everyone.  I would have liked to have given more specific takeaway messages at the end of the session.  Although, when we asked them to debrief at the end I was relieved to hear that they found it meaningful in varying ways.  Overall, co-facilitating this group session was an amazing learning experience that has allowed me to feel confident to lead a group on my own in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment