Sunday, May 7, 2017

Using My "OT Think"

    I am so grateful for all the knowledge I've gained while being in OT school thus far.  This weekend I noticed myself starting to observe my environment and begin "OT thinking".  I went to a 10k in Corinth, MS.  I struck up a conversation with a friend who is facilitating a research study involving exercise physiology and individuals with SCI.  It feels so rewarding to be able to discuss such a topic and be able to understand and articulate. I asked him if his participants utilized universal cuffs or tenodesis to perform the activities in the research study.  He had never heard of tenodesis therefore I did my best to explain this phenomena with him.
    My next situation was during the start of the race, the wheelchair runners began first.  I was analyzing all of the wheelchairs trying to point out any adaptive equipment I recognized and if they were tilted back or straight up.  I was so happy that these people were able to be a part of such a fun and meaningful event.
   Lastly, after the race I was sitting on a bench and witnessed a man have a bike wreck due to his chain coming off his bicycle.  As I called 911, my friend ran over to assist him.  The rider was what I believe in shock and lying on the ground.  Luckily he had a helmet on.  While I was talking to the dispatch, all I could think about was all that I have learned about TBIs and what I should be doing to help the man.  Finally, he was helped up and they realized the severity of the accident was not to the extent we assumed.  What a tough guy!  After the rider regained energy, he walked his bike past us and I noticed that he appeared to have Down's Syndrome.  I have not learned a lot about Down's Syndrome, but I am very excited to.  Knowing that he is able to participate in activities that are meaningful to him made me so happy.  What an awful experience for the rider, but the toughness he showed was inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment