Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Walk a Mile in Another Man's Shoes

Today in Foundations class we discussed how to effectively utilize therapeutic relationship and therapeutic use of self.  Experiences and perceptions play a vital role in creating this relationship with clients.  Empathy is also so important to create this relationship.  I have recently been actively trying to improve my empathy skills.  Events in my life such as when my dad was sick gave me a new perspective on so many things especially in the health field.  In class while going over the do's and don't's I was fortunate enough to have experienced some of these things first hand.  It's funny to say I was "fortunate to" because at the time of my father's illness I did not realize these experiences could benefit me one day.  That thought made me realize how important life experiences are in order to create therapeutic relationships with clients.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said! I can relate to what you have said about how going through you dad's illness shapes you.

    ReplyDelete